HSBA Leadership Institute
The Hawaii State Bar Association Leadership Institute was developed in 2008 and 2009 as a result of the bar’s strategic planning process, in which leadership development became a key focus. The Institute encourages diversity among the leaders of the bar by recruiting and targeting members with 3-15 years of practice and have a keen interest in expanding their talents and services to the bar and community at large. See testimonials here.
2013 Leadership Institute
Congratulations to the 2013 Leadership Institute Fellows:
- Angela Anderson, Attorney at Law (Kauai)
- Rina Chung, State House Minority Research Office
- Matthew Evans, Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert
- Claire Goldberg, Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel LLP
- Regina Gormley, Office of the Council Services (Maui County)
- Steven Gray, Ashford & Wriston LLP
- Diane Haar, Hawaii Disability Legal Services
- Miriah Holden, Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing
- Lisa Johnson, Case Lombardi & Pettit
- Joseph Kotowski, Tom Petrus & Miller LLLC
- Kristie Kutaka, The Pacific Law Group
- Christopher Schlueter, Attorney at Law (Hilo)
- William Shultz, Cades Schutte LLP
- Gemma-Rose Soon, Ashford & Wriston LLP
- Randall Whattoff, Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel LLP
2012 Leadership Institute
See the announcement of the 2012 Fellows here.
2011 HSBA Leadership Institute
See the announcement of the 2011 Fellows here
Catherine Fujisaki, Manoa Estate Planning LLC; Ryan Hew, Attorney at Law, LLLC; Bart Howk, Bays Lung Rose & Holma; Shannon Imlay, McKeon Imlay Mehling; Delia L’Heureaux, Legal Aid Society of Hawaii; Lauren McDowell, County of Kauai – Office of the Prosecuting Attorney; Darien Nagata, County of Hawaii – Office of the Prosecuting Attorney (Hilo Office); Caryn Okinaga, Cades Schutte LLP; Shellie Park-Hoapili, Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing; Gary Quiming, Ashford & Wriston LLP; Michael Schlueter, County of Hawaii – Office of the Prosecuting Attorney (Kona Office);Curtis Sherwood, City & County of Honolulu – Dept. of the Corporation Counsel; Scott Suzuki, Attorney at Law; andJennifer Zelko, Torkildson Katz Moore Hetherington & Harris (Hilo Office) .
2010 HSBA Leadership Institute
Back row (L to R): Justin Kollar, Camille Kalama, Rebecca Gardner, H. Shan Wirt, Shyla Cockett, Melissa Lambert, Lindsay McAneeley, Joanna Sokolow, and Emiko Meyers. Front row (L to R): Lynnae Lee, Mei-Fei Kuo, Malcom Barcarse, Jeffrey Kent, Shelley Nobriga, and Stephen Tannenbaum.
The deadline to apply for the 2010 Leadership Institute Program was April 22, 2010. A copy of the application and program events are available here.
2009 HSBA Leadership Institute
The Institute, a pilot project, was created as an interactive six-month program with legal and local leaders. In early June, 15 fellows were selected from a pool of applicants to participate in the bar’s first run with the Leadership Institute.
Read the press release on the Leadership Institute. See the 2009 Leadership Institute announcement flyer.
Back row (L to R): Franz "Donnie" Juan, Norman Cheng, Jesse Souki, Maura Okamoto, Mark Valencia, Nathan Nelson, Elmira Tsang, Levi Hookano, Jarod Buna, Nathalie Pettit. Front row (L to R): Courtney Kajikawa, Browning Clark, Elizabeth Paek, Lisa Nakahara, Jane Kwan.