Members of the HSBA get free access to Fastcase legal research as a benefit of membership. Fastcase is a nationwide legal research system that specializes in smarter legal research tools, including mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android, data visualization tools, integrated citation analysis and more.
To begin log in at www.myhsba.org. Start using Fastcase today to see why Forbes magazine called it a "fundamental break from the way legal research has been performed since the mid-1700s."
NEW! Free Enhanced Authority Check in Fastcase – another member benefit of the Hawaii State Bar Association
Fastcase has enhanced its Authority Check feature to show you where courts have noted that a case has been treated negatively (i.e., reversed or overruled on any grounds). The new feature, "Bad Law Bot," uses algorithms to find negative citation history. Bad Law Bot then flags those cases that have negative citation history and provides you with the links to those cases. Keep in mind that Bad Law Bot is not intended to be a complete replacement for a full editorial citator or for reading all later-citing cases. A red flag means that there's likely negative treatment, since a court has said as much by their use of a negative citation, but no red flag does not necessarily mean that a case is still good law. If a case has been overturned but no court opinion has cited to it yet, Bad Law Bot won't be able to find any citation signal information.
Bad Law Bot is a part of Fastcase's Authority Check, which means it’s free to you as a member of the HSBA. Log into your bar account at www.myhsba.org to get started.
For more information about Bad Law Bot, please visit www.fastcase.com/badlawbot
What's different about Fastcase?
• Get the best results at the top of the list so you can find the most important cases right away
• Easily sort and filter your results to emphasize what’s important to you
• Visualize your results on the Interactive Timeline
• See automatic integrated citation analysis with every caselaw search
• Conduct legal research outside the office with the Fastcase mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
• Sync your desktop account with your mobile account so that your research history and saved cases appear in both accounts for seamless legal research
Authority Check: Identifies later-citing cases and allows you to filter those cases to find ones in your jurisdiction
Interactive Timeline: Maps your results on a graph so you can easily spot the most important and seminal decisions
Forecite: Automatically suggests cases that may be relevant to your search by finding often-cited cases that were missed in your keyword search
Industry-leading customer service
• Free monthly training and tips webinars
• Reference attorneys to assist you in formulating research queries and more
• LiveChat option for assistance allows the customer support operator to send links directly to you with suggested searches and more
Online webinars: www.fastcase.com/webinars